The Kildwick Klassic urine separator (aka Urine Diverter) is a high quality UK-made product that’s the ideal starting point for your waterless compost toilet.
The Kildwick Klassic urine separator is made from extremely tough and durable Glass Fibre (GRP) with a glossy outward finish in white that’s easy to clean and looks hygienic like regular sanitary ware.
*** Now includes SteriTouch® additive for ongoing anti-bacterial protection and the new ‘Stainless Strainer’ that won’t fall out ***
- High quality, tough gloss white finish that looks great and ‘sanitary’, and is easy to keep clean and won’t yellow, unlike plastic separators.
- Rear ‘drip rail’ stops urine running down the outside of the separator and potentially fouling elsewhere – any excess urine will drip into the solids bucket below.
- Tough GRP – the highest quality marine grade GRP (registered with Lloyds of London) strands and resins are used meaning it won’t shatter or split when you’re connecting pipes etc.
- Hand made in the UK.
- Durable urine ‘spout’ enables a wide variety of connections (see below).
- SteriTouch® additive during manufacture ensures ongoing anti-bacterial properties
- Removable stainless steel ‘strainer’ means sawdust (if you use this for a cover) is easily trapped and removed. The new design of strainer features a ‘grappling hook’ which means it won’t fall out if the separator is tilted up.
- Very simply, this is made well, designed well and will last!
The diverter has a versatile and strong spout which enables you to easily connect your chosen fittings and pipework (no fittings are included as standard), including:
- 34mm Plastic Compression (Waste)
- 32mm Plastic Push-Fit (Waste)
- 32mm (1 1/4”) Internal Diameter Reinforced (Corrugated) Flexible Pipe – secured with Jubilee Clip
- 28mm External Diameter Copper or Plastic Pipe
- 28mm Spigot – Push Fit
- 28mm ‘End Feed’ Copper Stub for Neater Spout Stub, 28m-33mm Pipe Attachment or for Soldered Copper Fixing
- Direct to bottle with bottle openings from 30mm upwards
To install, cut the appropriately sized hole in the top of your toilet box and drop the Kildwick Klassic into place (we recommend trying the shape and size of hole in cardboard first to check alignment etc). You can then fit your chosen toilet seat – we take all the fittings off and screw through the bottom of the lid of the toilet box, through the separator and into the base of the toilet seat. For further information on making your own seat to fit, follow this link: http://www.littlehouse.co/diy/making-a-close-fitting-seat-for-a-diy-compost-toilet/
Will it fit?
Hopefully, these dimensions will help you work out if the Kildwick Klassic will fit…
The aperture you need to cut is usually slightly larger than the ‘hole’ in a regular toilet seat. We usually cut it to be around 300mm front to back and 265mm side to side, but we suggest you use your toilet seat as the guide.
We’ve used the words ‘approximately’ because being a fibre glass (GRP) product, it’s actually made slightly larger in some dimensions, and then cut to give clean edges etc and hence some variability can occur.
The great advantage of fibre glass is that it can be easily cut if needed without risk of breaking or shattering, and in the worst case scenario, can actually be repaired.
SteriTouch® is an additive used during the manufacture of the Kildwick Klassic. It is a silver-based product that provides natural, long term protection against illness-causing bacteria such as MRSA, Salmonella, E. coli and Campylobacter. Because it is not a coating (it’s in the material), it’s effectiveness will not diminish over time (10 year+ expected).
If you’re looking to capture the urine, take a look at the 10 Litre ‘D’ shaped bottle which is designed to sit perfectly under the urine spout of the Kildwick Klassic.
Here’s a brief video showing the Kildwick Klassic: